Re: where to find a linux-image-2.6* package?

> I want to install a generic 64-bit kernel in order to complete my
> installation of amd64 using debootstrap.

OK, so I looked on my sarge installation DVD #1 and found a stock kernel
package to get me started:
kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8_2.6.8-14_amd64.deb.  But now I can't install
it, because it needs to build an initrd using 64-bit tools as part of the
installation.  So I have a chicken-and-egg problem:

* I can't install the 64-bit kernel, because it needs 64-bit tools to build
its initrd.

* I can't run the 64-bit tools yet, because I'm not running a 64-bit kernel.

So it seems to me that for those of us who are still running in 32 bits,
installing amd64 via debootstrap is simply not possible.  We have to boot
debian-installer.  Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Andrew.