Re: Wifi pcmcia NIC

On Monday 13 February 2006 21:09, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:
> On 2/12/06, Thierry <lenaig@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am looking for pcmcia wifi card who work under debian 64 ...
> > Any idea ?
> >
> > Thx
> > ps: i already try with D-Link DWL 650+, Netgear WAG511 .... (drivers
> > problems)
>
> The Netgear WG511 uses a prism54 chip. Should work (once you get the
> binary firmware) as the driver is in the kernel. Other alternatives
> would include cards that have the Atheros chipset or Ralink RT2500
> chipset. I'm not so sure with Intel's wifi chips (haven't tried them
> at all) though the drivers are also in the latest linux kernel.
>
> --
> Paolo Alexis Falcone
> pfalcone@gmail.com

Be careful--more than one year ago I bought a WG511, thinking it
was supported.  However, Netgear changed the internal chip but
left the external labels unchanged.  However, it turned out
that WG511's made in Taiwan were OK, but all those made in
China failed to work.  I suspect those made in Taiwan are
no longer on the shelves:(  I went back to the store, rummaged
through the stack of boxes, and found one made in Taiwan:)
That card works flawlessly.

                              Delbert Franz