Re: Installing Debian on sata drive with adaptec aic-8130 controller

Marc Blumentritt wrote:

Hi,

Lennart Sorensen schrieb:
On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 12:27:14PM +0100, Marc Blumentritt wrote:

Thanks for the info. I will write my hardware-vender, that when I say, I
want Linux compatible hardware, that I really mean it. I will replace
the controller. Any sugesstions for a SATA PCI controller with 4 ports?
Yeah, redhat/suse binary drivers != Linux support.

Hmm, well for supported chipsets there are:

Sil3112/3114
3ware cards (which do hardware raid.)
Areca (although their drivers have not yet been merged into the kernel,
so they take more work.  Also hardware raid.)
Some promise based cards are supported too, although I am not currently
up to date on which ones.

Just for your notice: my vendor told me, if I change the SATA
controller, I will loose every support from HP, which we paid for. So I
looked at the newest Kernel 2.6.15 . You were right, that the marvel
driver was marked highly experimental, but it is working (as far as I
can see). So I hope, that it will be stable as soon as possible.

Regards,
Marc

I have an associate who's been helping to test sata_mv.ko - apparently, "highly experimental" doesn't come near the true state of play