Re: Kernel 2.6.15-4 freeze

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 07:22:08PM -0600, Ken Bloom wrote:
> Erik Mouw wrote:
> > BTW: you might want to use FUSE with sshfs instead of shfs. FUSE is
> > part of the mainline kernel so should be in sync with the current
> > in-kernel API. See http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html .
>
> Did you reboot after upgrading to 2.6.15-4? That upgrade happened for me
> this morning, and the upgrade warned that I would need to reboot, so I did.
>
> Also, I noticed a problem with shfs on AMD64 with a 2.6.14 kernel last
> week or the week before, whereby normal everyday commands like ls
> started segfaulting. It might be a related problem -- I didn't take the
> time to debug it.

Looking at shfs (shfs.sf.net) I see the last release was on 31 may
2004, which is just after linux-2.6.8.1. In the mean time we're at
kernel 2.6.15 and lots of in-kernel APIs have changed so shfs might
suffer from bit rot. It's very well possible that those changes do
affect shfs, and the segfaulting you see might be related to that. FUSE
shouldn't have that problem.

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --