Re: initrd race conditions

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 05:36:51PM +0000, Steven Haslam wrote:
> There shouldn't be any kernel changes required. Just use mkinitrd.yaird
> to build a new initrd.img.

I installed the sarge-backports yaird and modified
/etc/kernel-pkg.conf to say "ramdisk=mkinitrd.yaird" and then ran
"dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp" which seemed to
cause the ramdisk to be rebuilt using yaird. As you explained this
meant that the network drivers were not loaded by the initrd.

I still couldn't get my local udev rules to rename the interfaces on
startup though. In the end I just disabled the e100 in the BIOS - I
hope that the two tg3s will always be discovered in the same
order... :-)

Thanks for all your help.

I think I'd like to log a bug report about this though. Is udev the
best package to do that against?

--
Mike Crowe