Re: KDE in AMD64 etch

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Artur R. Czechowski wrote:

I don't think using sarge is an option because I don't think it has
support for the nVidia components on the ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard I am
using (am I wrong?).

The support you need is in the kernel, which means that you cannot use sarge
"as it is" on your machine. Nonetheless, you can use just sarge + a recent
kernel + a handful of backported packages from sid to support this. The
backported packages would be:

- module-init-tools
- udev (if you use it)
- yaird or initramfs (if you use an initrd to boot your machine)
- nvidia support packages if you want to use non-free nvidia graphics
drivers
- the dependencies from the above...

I don't know whether backports.org supports amd64. If it does, you can just
install something like 5 packages and you have a fully functional
sarge+something machine. I have some 6 such machines I administer here, they
work like a charm, with uptimes > 4 months. Essentially they usually only go
down for kernel upgrades or power blackouts...

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.