Re: AMD64 Install (failure) report

cmetzler@speakeasy.net writes:

> Install source:  Etch Netinstall CD image dated 2006/01/11.  A few weeks
> old, but I've successfully used it several times to install on this same
> machine, with the same hardware, as practice / just screwing around.

I think you'll have to update this, as etch is a moving target.

Alternatively, if your hardware permits it, you could install sarge
and then (dist-)upgrade to etch.

>>From inspecting my mirror (debian.csail.mit.edu), the package
> base-config appears to have gone weird around January 1.  There
> are two versions on the mirror; 2.73 has a 251k .deb file which
> includes /usr/sbin/termwrap, while 2.76 has a 41k .deb which
> does not (and which is also missing lots of other stuff in the
> 2.73 file).

Its functionality has deliberately been shifted into the installer.

> So maybe after rebooting into the system to finish the install,
> "updated" versions of packages installed from the netinstall CD
> are fetched, and that one is broken?  But then how was I able to
> install successfully previous times since January 11?  Maybe
> some other package's install script calls termwrap, and isn't
> supposed to anymore?

Although base-config 2.76 entered unstable (sid) on December 31, it
didn't propagate into testing (etch) until February 2 (yesterday),
according to http://packages.qa.debian.org/b/base-config.html .

Finger amu@monk.mit.edu (NOT a valid e-mail address) for more info.