Re: Stable vs Etch

Am Freitag 03 Februar 2006 18:51 schrieb Russ Cook:
> I am currently running a 64-bit system, using Stable in my apt
> sources.list. I find that some packages are unavailable to me (as
> expected).  I understand that amd64 is not an official part of the archives
> yet, but all the ramifications
> are unclear to me.  Is Etch the current unstable source tree for amd64,
> or is
> it testing, and is unstable more unstable than testing, or vice-versa?
>
> I want to be able to play and write dvds, run Azureus, etc, but I don't
> want to take any more risks than necessary of my system crashing due to
> experimental packages.  I'm will to take some risk, but I'd like to know
> the relative levels with the various packages.  I guess what I'm really
> asking is
> what is the correspondence between degress of stability with stable,
> unstable, testing, experimental, and what dist names are associated with
> these levels - Sid, Sarge, Etch, etc?
Stable is Sarge and the most stable one; Testing is Sid and a bit less stable;
Unstable is Etch and even less stable.

> What does debian-marrilat offer that the other mirrors don't?
If you want to play DVDs, MP3s and so on, you'll need debian-marillat in
addition to one of the "normal" debian mirrors. It doesn't replace them.

> Thanks much,
>    Russ

To play DVDs, Sarge is enough if you add debian-marrillat to
your /etc/apt/source.list. To run Azureus, however, you'll need a Java. I
recommend to use Java-Package to install it, so you are able to easily remove
it if you don't need it any more. It makes a Debian package from the Java
installer you can download at www.java.com.

Gian