Re: Grub/LILO install fails on DL385

Is this during the initial installation of Debian and are you using ext3? I had the same problem on the same hardware. When installing Grub from the Debian installer, I got a similar error: "boot/grub/ stage1 not read correctly." LILO wouldn't install either.

I found this thread <http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/09/ msg00225.html>. It doesn't actually identify a problem, but based on the circumstances of the poster's problem, I decided to try ReiserFS instead of ext3. Grub installed flawlessly.

I can't even begin to imagine why either bootloader would fail to install on ext3 but not ReiserFS, but for me, that was the *only* variable in the equation.

- Chris