Re: 3ware 9550 SATA RAID controller problems

On (11/01/06 14:16), Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Thanks this sounds like it might do it. I tried it but no luck yet. I
> some more details below, maybe I missed an important module.
>
> I'm running a Sarge system with the sid kernel and backported yaird.
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/libata
>    options libata atapi_enabled=1
>
> /etc/mkinitrd/modules
>    # has nothing
>
> woodbri@carto:~$ cat /etc/modules
> # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
> #
> # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
> # to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
> # a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.
>
> ide-cd
> ide-disk
> ide-generic
> psmouse
> sd_mod
> scsi_mod
> sg
> sr_mod
> libata
> ata_piix
> 3w-9xxx
> isofs
> mbcache
> jbd
> cdrom

This all looks OK AFAICT.  However, I don't know much about h/w raid or
even whether the card in question is a 'grown up' RAID card or a 'quasi
raid' card.  There are cheap 'RAID' controllers that don't provide full
RAID capability, under Linux at any rate - I'm no techie and this is
what I've picked up from the list and from my own experience with a
Promise card.

I would disable H/W raid and use software RAID in Debian by installing
the mdadm package.  I've got it working on a number of servers (SATA and
IDE), faultlessly.  The only problem I've had is that some kernels don't
load the requisite Sata modules before the boot process tries to check
the disks, hence putting them in /etc/modules.

I put some brief notes up but the links therein are (or were) very
useful.

http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk/selfhelp/FileServer_Install_manual.html

Sorry, I can't be more help.

Regards