Sata-HD and IDE CD-Rom on etch/2.6.12 solved

Many thanks to Lennart Sorensen for helping me fix this.

My initial problem was that my new machine, a Shuttle XPC with an Athlon
Venice 3800+ cpu, a SATA hard drive, and an IDE CD-ROM (cdrw/dvd combo) would
boot without any /dev/hd*, and would try to mount the cdrom on /dev/scd0.  If
there was initially no disc in the tray, it would be impossible to mount CDs
at all, if there were, it would, but things were flakey.

With the fix suggested by Lennart, all seems to be working properly.  I now
have /dev/hdc  and the cd is mounted as an ide-cd on that device.  I've only
booted it once, and that was with a cd in the tray, but it probably will work
fine in general.  It seems much more stable now, and even Gnome automounting
works (and is, btw, pretty cool).

Here is what I did:

manually add ide-cd to /etc/mkinitrd/modules

then regenerate the initrd by (thanks for the further info on how to do
this...)

mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-1-amd64-generic

--

David L. Johnson

   __o   | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
 _`\(,_  | mysteries,  and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
           nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]