Re: no updates to amd64 stable in last 3 weeks?

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:13:59AM -0800, Joel Johnson wrote:
> As a semi-related question between this thread and another:
>
> I have rolled my own 2.6.12 kernel for all machines running sarge, and am wondering about best practices for kernel security patches. Sarge is limited to 2.6.12 as far as I know due to udev versions and other issues, which vulnerabilities effect 2.6.12 (seems alot were reported fixed in 2.6.10), and are there patches available to apply to our rolled 2.6.12?

Well if you don't use udev at all (I don't) and you are willing to port
yaird or initramfs to sarge (yaird was rather easy to backport), then
running 2.6.14 and higher is not a problem on sarge.  I run 2.6.14 on my
sarge systems, and will probably move to 2.6.15 soon.  If you do use
udev, well you can backport that too.