Re: Install problem on Supermicro X6DHT-G system

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 04:51:32PM -0500, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

Debian Installers. My BIOS reports

IDE Channel 0 Master 250GB SATA1
IDE Channel 1 Slave  CD-ROM

That is probably the whole problem.  The SATA should NOT be treated as
an ide device unless you are trying to install something obsolete like
windows XP which doesn't do SATA natively.

IDE channel 0 should have no devices if nothing is connected to the
first IDE port.  Anything else means the bios is misconfigured or
"broken" (Dell's are often "broken").

Argh! I thought SuperMicro would be smarter than that!

I guess it might be worthwhile trying to reverse the drives so the CDROM is on channel 0

The other think I might be able to try is to move the SATA boot disk to the Marvel onboard raid controller just as a single disk.

I also have 3ware 9550 controller that I think I have to build a kernel driver to get it working.

Do you have any thoughts on working around this problem?

-Steve