Re: Problems installing on AMD Athlon 64 system

> > > I was able to install Ubuntu and the newly burnt Debian CD started the
> > > installer, but when the language selection screen came up I lost my
> > > keyboard and mouse (Logitech wireless desktop). When I used the wired
> > > mouse and keyboard I was able to select the language and go forward
> > > with a couple more screens before is froze again. I had to unplug the
> > > wireless desktop (USB) before I was able to proceed....
> > >

> > My saga isn't finished. The installer fails to configure the network.
> > On the plus side, after the reboot my USB edsktop is recognised. The
> > problem is I can't finish configuration since apt can't talk to
> > repositories. I could burn a bunch of CDs but it takes time to
> > download the images. Incidentally, i can't get bittorrent images at
> > all. last week i successfully got first image but since then nothing.
> >
> > Back to my lack of networking. The box has A8N-SLI nvidia nForce PCI
> > Express motherboard with "nForce4 built-in Gbit MAC with external
> > Marvell PHY - NV ActiveArmor, NV Firewall, AI NET2" which Ubuntu
> > recognised w/o problems. Is there some parameter I can give to the
> > insteller to help configuring the network? TIA,
>
> What did you configure apt-get to look for?  There's a section where
> you choose between options like CD, internet, and a few others I can't
> remember.  You could have perfectly fine networking, but then you can
> accidentally have it look to CD-ROM...  strange, I know, but that's
> the way it's bent of working.

no, i knew i had a problem earlier when it failed dhcp
autoconfiguration because my router is dhcp server. i would've changed
it to static IP later. at any rate, static IP didn't work either. it
looks i'm stuck completing loading from CD(s) and trying to figure it
out afterwards.