Re: Problems installing on AMD Athlon 64 system

On 12/18/05, Aaron Stromas <passogiau@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/18/05, Aaron Stromas <passogiau@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/17/05, lordSauron <lordsauronthegreat@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Duh.............
> > >

> > > easy diagnosis step.  Don't know why I didn't think of this before!
> > >
> > > To see if the machine is cd-bootable, goto www.kubuntu.org and
> > > download a amd64 cd.  If that boots, then we know it's a problem
> > > specific to your Debian CD.  If it doesn't, then we can begin to
> > > conclude that your machine isn't bootable for some reason.
> > >

> > I was able to install Ubuntu and the newly burnt Debian CD started the
> > installer, but when the language selection screen came up I lost my
> > keyboard and mouse (Logitech wireless desktop). When I used the wired
> > mouse and keyboard I was able to select the language and go forward
> > with a couple more screens before is froze again. I had to unplug the
> > wireless desktop (USB) before I was able to proceed....
> >

> My saga isn't finished. The installer fails to configure the network.
> On the plus side, after the reboot my USB edsktop is recognised. The
> problem is I can't finish configuration since apt can't talk to
> repositories. I could burn a bunch of CDs but it takes time to
> download the images. Incidentally, i can't get bittorrent images at
> all. last week i successfully got first image but since then nothing.
>
> Back to my lack of networking. The box has A8N-SLI nvidia nForce PCI
> Express motherboard with "nForce4 built-in Gbit MAC with external
> Marvell PHY - NV ActiveArmor, NV Firewall, AI NET2" which Ubuntu
> recognised w/o problems. Is there some parameter I can give to the
> insteller to help configuring the network? TIA,

What did you configure apt-get to look for?  There's a section where
you choose between options like CD, internet, and a few others I can't
remember.  You could have perfectly fine networking, but then you can
accidentally have it look to CD-ROM...  strange, I know, but that's
the way it's bent of working.

Also, I found that the onboard networking for my ECS nForce3-A didn't
work until I stuck another NIC in there (an old 3Com card of pre-linux
manufacture, most likely.  I couldn't tell - too much dust on it).