Re: [SPAM] use gmail?

On 12/17/05, Nebuchadnezzar <mongolian.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had noticed this as well, and I have to agree. I am a very satisfied gmail
> user, and most certainly wouldnt touch hotmail again with a 20 meter pole.
> Not only that, but (touch proverbial wood) I have yet to recieve a single
> item of -actual- [SPAM] in my inbox -or- spam folder. Very, very impressed.

I don't get that much spam at all.  I think its also the type of
content you view.  I have non-programmer, non-linux-using friends that
have about 600 spam messages a month, yet I still only get about 100 a
month (I don't know for sure - I delete them often, and I get maybe 6
a day).

Recently some spam has made it through that's in Spanish (don't ask
why - I really don't know) and then there's some gmail user named
winnie that's either a spammer him/her -self or has got the worst
password security practises imaginable, 'cause this user sends nothing
but spam to me.

Gmail has excellent spam filters, yes, but it's not perfect.  I think
it stems from the old saying that if you idiot-proof your software,
the world will just make a better idiot.

> On 12/18/05, Hank Barta < hbarta@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/16/05, Fielder George Dowding <
> fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net> wrote:
> > > Boy, I hate to make things worse by replying to this. On the other hand,
> > > I would hope there would be some way of blocking this stuff at the
> > > server. fgd.

too late.  you did.  now I've had to leave my 2 cents in it.