Re: New install - no sound

Following your suggestion, I ran gstreamer-properties and set the options
to use alsa (I have no idea yet what gstreamer is, my learning curve looks
like Mt Everest). Rythmbox now gives the error 'ALSA device "default" is already in use by another program' and also 'Could not pause playback'. Additionally, XMMS no longer works now. I get the error message 'Couldn't open audio'.
Thank you for your patience and assistance.

Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:

Use gstreamer-properties to make gstreamer use alsa.

Russ Cook wrote:

Partial success. After installing the programs I could find from the referenced list, XMMS now works. Rythmbox 0.8.8 still fails with the error message
'Could not create audio output element; check your setting'.

Russ Cook wrote:

I believe I have. As a user, I am a member of the audio group. I can run alsamixer as normal user. Still no sound. I visited this web site for hints - http://xtronics.com/reference/Debian-sound.html and looked at the list of packages it recommended installing. I noticed that I can't install alsa-modules because it isn't available. I am running testing - does that have
any bearing on my problem?

Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:

You didn't follow my directions... First make sure you are part of the audio group, you generally should just "be root".

adduser mynamehere audio

Then run alsamixer as that user and make sure the sound is at a resonable level. If it works as root then it should work as user if you have the right permissions. You should not need to manually run esd.

Russ Cook wrote:

Udev was already installed - I confirmed with Aptitude.  Executing
the command 'modprobe snd_intel8x0' made no difference. When I click on volume control under the sound and Video menu item of Gnome, I get the error message "No volume control elements and/or devices found." When I try to play a file using Rythmbox 0.8.8, I get the message "Could not create audio output element; check your settings". When I clicked on the "volume
monitor" under the Sound and Video menu item of Gnome, I get the
error message "Cannot connect to sound daemon.  Please run 'esd' at a
command prompt."  From a terminal as root, I execute esd, and get a
momentary tone sequence.  I then tried again to play a file under
Rythmbox, and get the same error message "Could not create audio output element; check your settings". This certainly appears to be a configuration issue, but I don't know what the problem is or how to fix it. As always, any
help or pointers to references would be greatly appreciated.