Re: New install - no sound

Udev was already installed - I confirmed with Aptitude.  Executing
the command 'modprobe snd_intel8x0' made no difference. When I click on volume control under the sound and Video menu item of Gnome, I get the
error message "No volume control elements and/or devices found."  When
I try to play a file using Rythmbox 0.8.8, I get the message "Could not create audio output element; check your settings". When I clicked on the "volume
monitor" under the Sound and Video menu item of Gnome, I get the
error message "Cannot connect to sound daemon.  Please run 'esd' at a
command prompt."  From a terminal as root, I execute esd, and get a
momentary tone sequence.  I then tried again to play a file under
Rythmbox, and get the same error message "Could not create audio output
element; check your settings".  This certainly appears to be a configuration
issue, but I don't know what the problem is or how to fix it. As always, any
help or pointers to references would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:

Install udev, modprobe snd_intel8x0, use alsamixer to adjust your volume, enjoy your sound. Simple. :)

Russ Cook wrote:

Thanks much for the reply. I did NOT have the alsa-utils installed. I thought I had, and that the system was configured. I have now installed alsa-utils, alsa-base, and alsa-oss, and run alsaconf. My modules and /dev do not match yours. You can tell by now that I am not expert at this. I will compile my own kernel once I get everything up and running, so I have a fall-back in case I incorrectly set some options for the custom kernel.

Any further pointers would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again.
   Russ