Re: Hello! from a newbie+ problems with debian for amd64+can't boot debian for i386 on amd64 from cd+can't extract sbm.bin from cd

Hi!

>Interesting... I did not have that issue. It just went and fetched the
>packages for me straight away. Where did the DHCP lease come from? I
>take it that it was issued by an ADSL modem? If so, check that the DNS
>settings were sent along with it.

My internet connection is ADSL through a modem-router, which is where the DHCP lease comes from (I guess). I knew that there was a functional internet connection because another computer in my home was also connected to the router and it could connect to the internet. The router itself has a serial cable to configure it, but you can unplug it once you have a working connection. Excuse the clumsy newbie description, but I was not sure I understood your questions. In any case, the problem was solved by running "dhclient" after the modprobe thing. I'm not sure how to check those DNS settings, though.

Anyway, I was kind of frustrated because I had to do it after every reboot. Moreover, I got no GUI after the install. I tried to download gnome, along with other packages (development tools, networking...) but I must have done something wrong, because I after installing the packages I was asked a lot of even stranger questions... as if I was trying to install a web server or something.

Right now I'm trying to get used to using "parted" to resize partitions and have many different intallations on my disk. It seems I have to learn how to install  and configure Grub on its own. A problem I have is that there are too many partitions. Sadly, it seems that I can't assign a name to each one in the partitions table (the Parted user manual says that "name" only works for Mac and PC98, not for DOS partitions. I guess I could change the partition type, but was not sure whether it was a good idea. Is it?).

Anways, I was so confused with so many unnamed partitions that I erased them all and now I'm using the only version which sort of works:

debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso

It's usable, but many things don't work like they should, especially synaptic (sometimes it becomes "zombie"), which is too bad.

>My bad. Less is not in there... I am used to using it on an installed
>system, which will have less if I've been near it. My apologies for
>this.

No problem! I understand that there must be several things you don't need to do again (or remember) once your got your system up and running.

>(Also, sorry for my delay in replying; work sent me to a remote,
>non-internet connected location in the Australian outback. Now that's
>off topic.)

Paying a visit to Mr. Dundee? :DD
Welcome back!

Sometimes I also take some time to reply, because I'm trying different things and I'm a bit slow at it. Sorry.

Regards,

Martin