Re: many lost ticks, clock drifts problems also with debian smp kernel?

On 10:36 Fri 09 Dec     , remi.delmas.3000@free.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a machine with an AMD64 x2 4800+ mounted on an asus A8V Deluxe. I have
> experienced massive clock drift problems with smp kernels from the fedora core
> 4 x86_64 distribution, also with the newer 2.6.14.3 kernel from kernel.org:
>
> ----------
> dmesg :
>
> Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
> warning: many lost ticks.
> Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts
> rip 0x435036
> ---------------
>
> I have tried the pci=routeirq, acpi=off, noapic, nolapic, no_timer_check,
> no_tsc... bootparams without any real succes, my system clock keeps on drifting
> away faster and faster after the system has been up for some time.
>
> My question to the list is :
>
> Are the debian amd64-k8-smp kernels also subject to this problem?

This is a kernel problem with SMP having unsynced TSC's running at
different freqs, supposedly fixed in kernel 2.6.14. Before 2.6.14 i
needed to boot with pci=noacpi and clock=pmtmr to solve the 'lost
'ticks'.

A Debian kernel won't change anything. assuming you have a similar config
(e.g. HPET_TIMER=y PM_TIMER=y). You may want to post this on the LKML.