Re: usb key mount problems with AMD64 unstable

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 05:32:30PM +0000, A J Stiles wrote:
> Try issuing
>
> # modprobe usb-storage
> {to load the USB storage driver; *never* *ever* compile this into the kernel,
> if it is a module then you can reset a crashed drive using rmmod usb-storage,
> if it's in the kernel and a USB drive crashes, you will hose your USB
> subsystem}

It should be loaded automatically when the device is plugged in. On
sarge, the kernel would notify hotplug which would load the drivers,
then udev will create the /dev entry. On etch/unstable, udev replaces
hotplug and both loads the drivers AND manages /dev.

Then it can be automounted by GNOME, by hal and gnome-volume-manager.
It all works here with my USB hard drive (aka iRiver MP3 player).

> But this can go haywire if you are using udev -- you may find that it removes
> the device everytime you boot up  {it did this with my PS/2 mouse .....
> which would be very annoying, if it needed booting up more often than
> monthly}.  If this is the case, then you need to get udev to make the device

You may have to list the PS/2 mouse driver (psmouse) in /etc/modules.
udev doesn't remove entries across reboots -- all entries are temporary
because /dev is a ram disk.

> for you automatically when the drive is plugged in.  Simply reconfiguring the
> udev package while the USB device is plugged in might well be enough.

udev doesn't learn anything at installation time, so this won't help.

Hamish