usb key mount problems with AMD64 unstable

Folks,

I just spent half an hour trying to figure out how to get a USB key to
mount on my amd64 system running the latest unstable.

When I first put in the key, dmesg showed only:

 usb 3-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2

the key shows up under lsusb, but no mountable device is created.
Perusing previous questions, I see a recommendation to modprobe
usb_storage and sd_mod.  Trying that gets me further: reinserting the
key now produces dmesg like so:

   usb 3-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
   usb-storage: device found at 6
   usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
     Vendor: IBM       Model: Memory Key        Rev: 1.01
     Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
   SCSI device sdc: 256000 512-byte hdwr sectors (131 MB)
   sdc: Write Protect is off
   sdc: Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
   sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
   SCSI device sdc: 256000 512-byte hdwr sectors (131 MB)
   sdc: Write Protect is off
   sdc: Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
   sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
    /dev/scsi/host7/bus0/target0/lun0:<3>ldm_parse_privhead(): Cannot find PRIVHEAD structure. LDM database is corrupt. Aborting.
   ldm_validate_privheads(): Cannot find PRIVHEAD 1.
    unable to read partition table
   Attached scsi removable disk sdc at scsi7, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
   usb-storage: device scan complete

Looks promising, but trying to mount /dev/sdc produces:

   fast:/dev# mount -tvfat /dev/sdc /mnt/key
   mount: special device /dev/sdc does not exist

Sure enough,

   fast:/dev# ls sdc*
   ls: sdc*: No such file or directory

So I try MAKEDEV sdc, which looks like it does the right thing:

   fast:/dev# ./MAKEDEV -v sdc
   create sdc	b 8 32 root:disk 0660
   create sdc1	b 8 33 root:disk 0660
   create sdc2	b 8 34 root:disk 0660
   create sdc3	b 8 35 root:disk 0660
   create sdc4	b 8 36 root:disk 0660
   create sdc5	b 8 37 root:disk 0660
   create sdc6	b 8 38 root:disk 0660
   create sdc7	b 8 39 root:disk 0660
   create sdc8	b 8 40 root:disk 0660
   create sdc9	b 8 41 root:disk 0660
   create sdc10	b 8 42 root:disk 0660
   create sdc11	b 8 43 root:disk 0660
   create sdc12	b 8 44 root:disk 0660
   create sdc13	b 8 45 root:disk 0660
   create sdc14	b 8 46 root:disk 0660
   create sdc15	b 8 47 root:disk 0660

but alas, still no joy.

   fast:/dev# ls sdc*
   ls: sdc*: No such file or directory

Just for the heck of it, I try find to see if sdc is being created
somewhere else, and it is: in /dev/.static/dev

So I try that, and it does work:

  fast:/dev# mount -tvfat /dev/.static/dev/sdc /mnt/key

Surely this can't be the intended method for mounting usb keys....

Larry