MythTV fails with debian-pure64

I have not been able to get mythfrontend (running on the same machine as the
backend) to work. The application screen goes blank as soon as I attempt to
watch live TV. I found the following threads that seem to apply:

http://pvrguide.no-ip.com/bbs-old/viewtopic.php?t=19769
http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2004/08/msg00080.html

Has the /lib/ld-2.3.2.so been fixed for both the gcc3.4 and pure64 archives,
or just in gcc3.4? Does anyone have MythTV-0.17 running under pure64, and
if so, do you have suggestions?

I cannot upgrade to gcc3.4, as the libqt3c102-mt library is broken, and KDE
apps did not work correctly on my system until I reverted to pure64.