Re: Re: "rock solid" motherboard

Joshua Moore wrote:

I hate to bring this up again, but this is the only discussion I've been able to find that speaks around my specific needs. I have the Abit AV8 and Athlon64 3000 CPU. When I try to install Debian with RAID-0 (two Western Digital SATA drives), it gets to the partitioning part and then it sees two drives. Shouldn't it only see one? I can't seem to get it to recognize one big drive (I
think it's called striping?). I have SATA RAID ROM set
to ENABLED in the BIOS and I've hit [TAB] at startup and used the auto setup to make a RAID-0 array, and I've set it to be a bootable array. What else do I need to do in order to get it to work. Please copy any responses to my email, as I am not a member of this list yet.

++++++++++++++++++++

Here are some more ideas:

I enabled the Promise RAID in the BIOS for mirroring and
they worked fine under DOS. There was only one drive with
the RAID enabled and two drives with the RAID disabled.

Using a Linux kernel shows two drives even when RAID is
enabled because the drivers bypass the BIOS. The drivers
just try to enable the disk controllers directly. That
problem can be found in the Kernel.org bugzilla.

The motherboard disk controller chips are mostly useful
for enlarging disks or mirroring only. Two 74G disks can
be made into one 148G disk only that won't be faster than
one 74G disk(maybe only slightly faster). The mirroring
works good because two disks can be driven as fast as one
disk. The Linux kernel does not now support any of the
motherboard chips capable of native RAID mode in the BIOS.

Some of the motherboards are sold with their own drivers
for the onboard RAID chips. My ASUS with VIA and Promise
controllers has a 32bit driver for the RAID under SUSE
Linux. I forget if that requires a specific kernel version.

Does the Abit come with a special RAID driver? If they
made a 64bit module, the module might work under certain
circumstances. Has anybody gotten that module to work?

Most people use a software RAID. Software RAID will be much
faster using the Multi-disk md_RAID program than the native
RAID mode of the motherboard disk controller chips.

Also, the recent Debian Installers for AMD64 sid and sarge
are working much better. Both Debian and Ubuntu installer or
distribution kernels are best replaced with a custom kernel
compiled for your own equipment and setup for best results.

editor@postscript.port5.com

AMD Athlon64 @2.4Ghz  Corsair TwinX1024-3200XL @480Mhz DDR
ASUS A8V Deluxe ASUS Radeon A9250Ge/Td/256
Creative SB Live  WD Raptor SATA  Maxtor PATA  IBM/Okidata
Color PostScript3  Lexmark Mono PostScript2
Debian GNU/Linux debian-amd64/pure64 sid  Kernel 2.6.11
XFree86 4.3.0.1  Xorg X11R6.8.2  1.5 Mb DSL