Re: bind mount in 32bit chroot

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:47:47 -0500
Tong <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The "bind mount" section in the faq is not clear. I still have things
> that I don't understand.
>
> I understand in the chroot environment, at least the following has to
> be bind mounted:
>
> /home
> /tmp
> proc
>
> The faq then goes on:
>
> ,-----
> | Then mount them:
> |
> | mount /var/chroot/sid-ia32/home
> | mount /var/chroot/sid-ia32/tmp
> | mount /var/chroot/sid-ia32/proc
> `-----
>
> This is not clear. Should I do it in the chroot environment, or out
> side it? If I should do it in the chroot environment, isn't that
Not in chroot. Do it in basesystem. Should be clear because of the full
path.

> "mount /home", etc, much clearer?
However you've /tmp and proc already in your /etc/fstab, because of this
the fullparh is neccesary.

> Q2, how about devices, Shouldn't /dev be bind mounted?
I'm not sure about this, but I think this is processed when creating the
chroot.

> Q3, to use my devices, e.g., /media/cdrom0, should I use it from
> $CHROOT/media/cdrom0 or from chrooted/dev?
In my opinion: As a lokal chroot only to execute x86 binarys, this seems
regardless of which method you select. However /media/cdrom0 seems to be
cleaner.

> /media/cdrom0   $CHROOT/media/cdrom0 none    bind            0       0
> /media/cdrom1   $CHROOT/media/cdrom1 none    bind            0       0

I'm no expert. And I've some problems with english-language today. Yeah
blended Scotch. :-)

Carsten