Installing Nvidia 1.0.6629 Driver

All,

So since I am so new to this 64 bit stuff, I have a stupid question. Should I be using nvidia's AMD 64bit driver? I downloaded Nvidia's 1.0.6629 driver for AMD64 and tried to install it onto my system. It appeared to install correctly but gave me a warning about a 32bit library. When the installer was done I tried to load the module and it seemed to load just fine, normal messages in the kernel. But when I setup the XFree86-4 config file for the nvidia driver and ran X11, it kicked me out saying that it couldn't find the nvidia module! I had it loaded in memory, it should not have to find the module.

I struggled for a while trying to get this working by messing with the X11 config file but finally gave up and uninstalled the driver. I put the X11 config file back to the original specs and I can't get into X now. It complains about some libGL symbols, then complains about VESA write-combining range. What the heck is that? Did I screw myself when I installed the drivers? I read some posts from a while back about the nvidia drivers and how they install their own libraries in places you may not want them. How can I get my X11 working again? I prefer to get the nvidia driver installed but just a quick and dirty hack to get vesa back would be acceptable.

Here's the output of startx: