General USB problems; was Re: USB mouse stops working intermittently with dmesg errors: drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: input irq status -84 received

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Kyuu Eturautti wrote:

and allows the use of a PS/2 or USB keyboard and mice. I had no problems with any Windows systems and the PS/2 converted but Pure64 could only handle it once out of three times or so. Haven't tested with other Linux distros than Debian Pure64.

Is it just me, or is Linux's USB support broken in general in amd64, if not x86?

If I attach, and then remove a USB audio device (i.e. Labtec headset), 3 out of 4 times (not 100%) my PS/2 (!!!) keyboard stops working until reboot. Nothing in dmesg, nothing in syslog.

Until 2.6.10, it was routine for Linux to freeze during startup about every third or fourth boot on some of my machines. I never reliably tied this to any particular USB peripheral, and only this very most recent kernel seems to have finally eliminated it.

Grep for USB in kernel changelogs and you get a mountain of stuff in every minor release...