Re: KDE Themes Missing?

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:30:55 +0000, Pat C <firefly2442@hotmail.com> wrote:
> So my debian system is awesome.  I'm using KDE and I love the new KDE 3.3
> setup.  However, I can't seem to be able to change the graphical login when
> the computer starts up.  It's this plain drab Debian logo and two boxes.  I

If you prefer the standard console login just de-activate xdm
(unfortunately, 'apt-get remove xdm' has too many dependencies
(complete KDE) which will be affected as well) in /etc/init.d/ by (as
root)

# update-rc.d -f xdm remove
# echo xdm hold | dpkg --set-selections

X (and KDE) will then be started by 'startx'.

I personally use 'autologin' in inittab to automatically login with my
standard user, have a small script in .bash_profile giving me the
choice to start KDE with X.org or XFree86 or remain in the console,
and after 10 seconds launches KDE as the default. This way, I end up
in the graphical environment after booting the machine (and without
any further interaction after switching the power on), but I still
have the choice... (this is a bit off-topic, so drop me a note if you
want the details of this set up).

> tried changing the login using the control panel but that didn't work.  I
> noticed I didn't have any themes installed when I go to the themes section
> so I thought maybe I could download some.  I got two off of the alioth

Themes are provided in 'kdeartworks', check if you have installed this package.

As a side note, I recently experienced when installing the
'kwin-baghira' package (gcc-3.4) that this theme did not show up in
the control center. Downloading and installing the sources from
baghira.sourceforge.net however worked fine for me (if you like the
Mac OS X style you should have a look at the baghira theme,
particularly combined with the transparency and shadowing provided by
the X.org server... but that's a different issue).

> server (.deb) but they still don't show up in the list.  Are themes
> installed in another directory that I'm not aware of?  Thank you!

Not sure what exactly you did, but just downloading the .deb is not
sufficient, you must also install it

# dpkg -i <filename>.deb

However, the standard Debian way would be to use apt-get, e.g. like

# apt-get install kdeartworks

This should arrange everything for you.

--
Best regards / Mit den besten Grüssen