Re: AMD64 with MSI Neo2 Platinum

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:32:12 +0200
Lourens replying to Kyuu Eturautti <vekotin@b2.st> :

[snipped]

> In short: I haven't been impressed with MSI's quality with Athlon 64
> boards. A friend recently told me that over half of their MSI A64
> boards
> sold in the past months have been returned with several types of
> faults.
> Not good. Though I'll note that when they work, they work quite well.

This is the second time that I have seen you vented about MSI
mobos, based on someone else's experience?

I use them exclusively for Linux and doze (Desktops and small Linux
servers) and have yet to have a problem with one, then, I buy my mobos
from an official Distributor ?

To answer the original question.
Take a look at
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_list.php?kind=1&CHIP=68&NAME=Socket
The 8KT mobos use VIA chipsets, the 8KN mobos use nVidia chipsets.
Decide what you need and look for chipset support in the kernel or
search this list wrt the chipset and other controllers.

I am currently using a K8T Neo2, runs without a hitch although I have
not attempted to use the Promise SATA RAID and the on-board soundcard
sucks (a common problem, IMHO, with all on-board soundcards that I have
tried).
Do not buy el-cheepo RAM!

Have fun.

*****

Lourens Steenkamp
Enjoying Debian GNU/Linux AMD64 port

*****

This is Africa.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.