Re: Oracle won't cooperate

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 01:39 +0000, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> I tried to install Oracle 10g on a sid/amd64 machine just now.  What a
> nightmare.  I grabbed the java sdk from blackdown, installed the
> ia32-libs packages and a fullblown ia32 chroot as well.  Still, Oracle
> just refuses to start.  Their installer is a 32-bit launcher program
> which starts java which tries to call a bunch of native methods.  I
> installed openmotif (wretch!) in both 64-bit and 32-bit lib trees, but
> to no beneficial effect.  What a nightmare!  Would it kill them to ship
> the installer for their 64-bit database in, oh, I dunno, a 64-bit
> binary?!?!
>
> The best part is the totally misleading error message:
>
> 	current locale is not supported in X11
>
> Not!  How about "calling 32-bit libs from 64-bit java from 32-bit binary
> on 64-bit system not supported"?
>
> Any successful Oracle installs out there?

I think O is pretty persnickety about which java is installed.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"People had to leave everything, from photos of their
grandparents to cars. Their clothes, cash and passports has been
changed by state authorities. This is incredible, people lived,
had homes, country houses, garages, motorcyles, cars, money,
friends and relatives, people had their life, each in own niche
and then in a matter of hours this world fall in pieces and
everything goes to dogs and after few hours trip with some army
vehicle one stands under some shower, washing away radiation and
then step in a new life, naked with no home, no friends, no
money, no past and with very doubtful future."
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/page14.html