Oracle won't cooperate

I tried to install Oracle 10g on a sid/amd64 machine just now.  What a
nightmare.  I grabbed the java sdk from blackdown, installed the
ia32-libs packages and a fullblown ia32 chroot as well.  Still, Oracle
just refuses to start.  Their installer is a 32-bit launcher program
which starts java which tries to call a bunch of native methods.  I
installed openmotif (wretch!) in both 64-bit and 32-bit lib trees, but
to no beneficial effect.  What a nightmare!  Would it kill them to ship
the installer for their 64-bit database in, oh, I dunno, a 64-bit
binary?!?!

The best part is the totally misleading error message:

	current locale is not supported in X11

Not!  How about "calling 32-bit libs from 64-bit java from 32-bit binary
on 64-bit system not supported"?

Any successful Oracle installs out there?

-jwb