Re: new kernel too big for lilo

Thanks for all the feedback. I tried installing a new kernel the 'debian way':

% make menuconfig
% make-kpkg

followed by:

% dpkg -i kernel_name.deb

which did everything automatically. Then I restarted ... to find I had
no GUI and no internet. I realized that the automatic install had
renamed my old kernel by appending .old to the name. I was able to add
THAT to lilo.conf by hand and successfully reboot.

I am sure most of you will disagree with me but this is one area where
I do NOT like doing things the debian way. Compiling and installing a
kernel isn't something I do everyday but it is something that can mess
up a system. I don't know what is automagically being done behind the
scenes and I am very uncomfortable with that. I would much rather
follow a manual compile-installation instruction so that I can add the
new kernel to lilo by hand to try it out, knowing the working kernel
is still safe.

Having said that ... I now think that I was doing things wrong before.
After running make bzImage I saw there was a new file in the
/usr/src/linux directory called "vmlinux". I thought THAT was the
kernel and tried to copy it to /boot. After some research on the net I
now think that the image is actually at /arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage. IS
this what was meant by:

On 12/27/05, Ernest jw ter Kuile <ejwtk05@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> You're copying the uncompressed kernel. Doesn't work.

Which IS the kernel I am supposed to copy?

After I copied that bzImage I find that I have no GUI again. For some
reason the nvidia modules is not getting loaded (or found). I have no
idea why. Do I have to do something special with the nvidia module to
get it to work with a newly compiled kernel?

I still can't get internet working (either ethernet or wireless). When
I tried  to modprobe the relevant modules I got an error saying
'module not found'. But it IS there in the /lib/modules/2.6.14/....
directory. What is up with this? Do I have to update the System.map or
something else? (I HATE compiling and installing kernels since I don't
understand what is going on.)

Thanks,
Craig