Panic - Kernel 2.6.14.4

I'm running a stock 2.6.12 kernel (2.6.12-1-amd64-k8-smp) on an
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard.  Processor is AMD64 4800 dual
core, with 4 MB ram.  I'm trying to compile and
install kernel 2.6.14.4.  To start, I copied the same .config file
from the 2.6.12 kernel, went through the usual make-kpkg clean,
menuconfig, kernel-image process, changing nothing in the .config
file.  After installing using dpkg -i and rebooting, I get a kernel panic
because VFS can't mount the root partition (hda1).  I'm using Grub.
The 2.6.12 kernel boots fine, and I used the same .config file. My hard disk is a Maxtor ATA. Can anyone offer pointers to check? I don't understand why one should boot, and the other won't. I'll be happy to send .config
file on request.

Thanks much,
 Russ