Re: Problems installing on AMD Athlon 64 system

On 12/18/05, Aaron Stromas <passogiau@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/17/05, lordSauron <lordsauronthegreat@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Duh.............
> >

> > easy diagnosis step.  Don't know why I didn't think of this before!
> >
> > To see if the machine is cd-bootable, goto www.kubuntu.org and
> > download a amd64 cd.  If that boots, then we know it's a problem
> > specific to your Debian CD.  If it doesn't, then we can begin to
> > conclude that your machine isn't bootable for some reason.
> >

> I was able to install Ubuntu and the newly burnt Debian CD started the
> installer, but when the language selection screen came up I lost my
> keyboard and mouse (Logitech wireless desktop). When I used the wired
> mouse and keyboard I was able to select the language and go forward
> with a couple more screens before is froze again. I had to unplug the
> wireless desktop (USB) before I was able to proceed....

My saga isn't finished. The installer fails to configure the network.
On the plus side, after the reboot my USB edsktop is recognised. The
problem is I can't finish configuration since apt can't talk to
repositories. I could burn a bunch of CDs but it takes time to
download the images. Incidentally, i can't get bittorrent images at
all. last week i successfully got first image but since then nothing.

Back to my lack of networking. The box has A8N-SLI nvidia nForce PCI
Express motherboard with "nForce4 built-in Gbit MAC with external
Marvell PHY - NV ActiveArmor, NV Firewall, AI NET2" which Ubuntu
recognised w/o problems. Is there some parameter I can give to the
insteller to help configuring the network? TIA,

-a