Re: about the advantage of 64 bit processor

I'm still seeing some things (like LinuxThreads, and some clustered
filesystem products) that will only run on x86, not x86_64 based
kernels - and I've often wondered about switching back to normal
32-bit x86 (but on an amd64 chip.) I hear the performance is still
better than a normal 32-bit chip... I guess the main difference is
that I wouldn't be able to address more than 2GB RAM.

Isn't that right (someone else)?

Other than that, I'm not sure if there's much difference... I haven't
seen any benchmarks showing amd64 in 64-bit totally outperforming
amd64 in 32-bit mode myself...

I'd like to hear someone else's opinion (perhaps more knowledgable on
the architecture differences) - I was thinking about bringing this up
myself as I might have to use x86 for certain [proprietary] filesystem
products, but I wouldn't want to waste a lot of resources or miss out
on the opportunity to address additional RAM (especially if I want to
use something like memcached, where I can give it all the extra RAM I
have in each machine as part of the distributed cache)

Thanks,
mike