Hardware memory remapping....

OK, I just upgrade to 4G of RAM, so I had to turn on memory re-mapping
to use it. First result, with 2.6.12, was that touching any software
raid device other than the one the root fs was on resulted in multiple
kernel panics in quick sucession, and the console completely locked.
(This, btw, was fun to debug; booting with init=/bin/sh and running each
script in /etc/rcS.d by hand...)

With 2.6.14, it got as trying to bring up the ethernet interface, which
is handled by the skge driver. That paused a while and said there was a
hardware error. Then it spit out an ata (sata, actually) timeout and....
kernel panic'd.

So, I've turned off the hardware memory remap feature, and it seems to
cost ~.5G of memory :-( Any suggestions on how to get it to work?

PS: It seems I don't have sound anymore with 2.6.14, either, even with
the memory remap off. I get:

cannot find the slot for index 0 (range 0-0)
VIA 82xx Audio: probe of 0000:00:11.5 failed with error -12

from lspci...
0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT8233/A/8235/8
237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.: Unknown device 812a
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Step
ping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort
- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 5
        Region 0: I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

This is an Asus A8V Deluxe (or is it A8V, or AV8, or..., whichever is
the Asus board).