Re: Building amd64 kernels on i386

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 05:18:15PM +0100, Brice Figureau wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 16:57 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Brice Figureau <brice+debian@daysofwonder.com> writes:
> > > I own an amd64 server on which no gcc environment has been installed for
> > > security reasons.
> >
> > Point out to the server admin that not having a gcc is just stupid and
> > not a security measure.
>
> First, that's not the point of my question ;-)

It might be easier to just add the compiler, make your kernel, and then
remove it.  Rather than get a working cross build environment going on
an i386 machine.  Make note of all the packages installed and remove
them afterwards.  Or you could just create a chroot environment with all
the packages installed, and when you're done, you could tar that up and
save it on the i386 machine before deleting it off the "secure" machine.

Cheers,