Re: Can I use partitions on amd64 and i386?

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 07:09:04PM +0100, Alexander Syring wrote:
> Hi
> I want rebuild my system and I want to install sid amd64 and sid i386 with
> dual boot and/or chroot.
> now my question is how many partitions I should make.
> I thought it so:
>
> /boot		for both
> /		one for amd64 and one for i386
> /home	for both
> /usr		for both
> /files		for both
> /opt		for both
>
> is that ok or does exist there any problems with one partition for /usr
> or /opt to mount it into i386 or amd64?

You can not share /usr since /usr/bin, /usr/sbin and /usr/lib contain
architecture specific files.  /usr/share might be shareable but would
still conflict for package installs due to overlap.  Best choice is to
not share anything dpkg owns, so no /var, /usr, /, /etc, and so on.  You
can share /home and anywhere else you manage yourself.  /opt is hardly a
standard so whatever you think it is used for is probably fine.  The
common use would not be fine to share since it too would have
architecture specific files.