Re: ia32-libs

Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 06:13:10PM +0100, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
>> hi guys,
>>
>> i am not able to update ia32-libs on sid. i get the following error:
>>
>> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/ia32-libs_1.5_amd64.deb
>> (--unpack): trying to overwrite '/usr/lib32', which is also in package
>> libg2c0-dev
>> and it fails to install.
>>
>> i found something similare there:
>> http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-bugs/2005-July/065679.html
>>
>> any hints how to solve this? i cannot remove libg2c0-dev because several
>> other packages depend upon it... :(
>
> It seems nobody filed a bug about this yet, will do shortly.

The question I have is who realy is to blame. I think this is a bug in
dpkg:

ia32-libs contains a link (to a directory) from /usr/lib32 to
/emul/....

libg2c0-dev contains files in /usr/lib32/ and thus also contains the
directory.

Imho dpkg should just put the files into /usr/lib32/ without any
complains. On the other hand, if dpkg unpacks libg2c0-dev before
ia32-libs, it would create a dir and the link would try to overwrite
this. That case has to be avoided.

We might have to do some hacks to make this work right. One idea would
be to have libc6 contain a real directory /usr/lib32 and create
/usr/lib32 as link beforehand in preinst (or convert it to one if it
is a dir).

Thoughts?

> To work around this, first remove libg2c0-dev, then install or
> upgrade ia32-libs, then install libg2c0-dev again.

I would use --force-overwrite.

MfG
        Goswin