Re: Hello! from a newbie+ problems with debian for amd64+can't boot debian for i386 on amd64 from cd+can't extract sbm.bin from cd

Hi!
>>1) Why don't I have permission to extract the "sbm.bin" file? How can I
>> solve that?
>Don't think its a good way to trying to extract something, may
>you've burned your cd in a wrong way. Did you setup your
>burning software in the correct way to create a bootable image?
Definitely! A while later I realised I was dumbly copying
the ".iso" file to a cd instead of burning an image.
Besides, I was trying to extract the file into the cd-rom instead of, say, the desktop.
Anyway, I've finally burnt the cd and it more or less works
 (though I had to type "linux26",otherwise it wouldn't recognise my ethernet card) Now the problem is that I can't connect to the mirrors to complete the installation (it says "temporal error").
I had to set the internet configuration manually, so I may have done a mistake, but I don't know where.
I'm re-installing the amd64 version, which at least can set the internet configuration automatically,
 and download nearly all packages (except security updates, among others !!).

>if you are a real newby, you may wait until december. As I knew debian etch

>should be finished in december, and there amd64 should be one of the standard
>supported systems.

That's cool! I thought it would take a bit longer.
Anyway, I have nothing better to install on my drive,

 so I'll try to get used to Debian now,
and then, when Etch is released, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,