Re: Wrapping code

A Divendres 25 Novembre 2005 15:32, Goswin von Brederlow va escriure:
> Adam Stiles <adam@priceengines.co.uk> writes:
[....]
> > I've often thought that it ought to be possible to reverse the
> > compilation process, after a fashion.  You would end up with a whole load
> > of ifs and gotos, of course.  All means to the same end are equally valid
> > and you cannot tell after the event which one was uesd.  Who is to say
> > what is a while loop and what is a for loop, or even what language it was
> > written in the first place?  And you probably would not ahve any of the
> > variable or function names, if the binary was stripped.  Still, that only
> > matters to human beings :)  The near-unreadable code it produced -ought
> > still to be able to be compiled- with a newer version of the compiler
> > {since the missing stuff like variable names is just for the benefit of
> > humans}.
> >
> > In fact, I found a project aiming to do just that:
> > http://boomerang.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > From the pages, it's very much a work in progress; but if Boomerang can
> > manage to recover your missing source code, you just might be able to
> > recompile it for the new environment.
> >
> > It's got to be worth a shot  :)

It's really impressive if it do whatever it says. Well, I'm having a lot of
problems compiling it in a chroot32 and sadly I think that doesn't compile in
a amd64 platform ...

> If the code does not actively protect against that then an asm2c
> compiler is not a big deal.

Ok, I will try.

> But what if the code uses places in the code as instructions and
> literal constants at the same time? Or even worse, what if it is self
> modifying. Any change in the bit patterns, and a recompile certainly
> will have change, can destroy the functionality.
>
> Games used to do that sort of thing for copy protection. Disabling the
> code alters some literal constants and the game crashes or misbehaves.

well, it's not a game. I will try.

Regards,

Leo

--