Wrapping code

Hi,

I have a question that maybe could be an off topic but I think that it could
be interesting for the amd64 users.

I have a library code with some executables of a device. This device uses the
parallel port and provides a library to use it with some more functionalities
(provides some .so and some .h to link with).

Of course I don't have the source code and worst the library is compiled for
RedHat 7.2 :-( (gcc-2.96 ...)

I have though that maybe it could be possible to develop a wrapper to use the
library in the way that I can update compiler and distro and also arch amd64)
but really, I don't know if is this possible and how to begin.

Is this possible or I'm asking something stupid?

If it's possible, how I can do that? rewriting the headers and a cpp code
calling the library functions? and the compiler, have I to make some special
flag? can I reuse a .so as a .a?

This idea could help to the people that have devices that have libraries to
develop with them but not the source code and for example want to change of
distro or upgrade an a amd64. Of course that if the library is compiled in a
32 bits it will be 32 bit, but it's possible to mix 64bit and 32bits code?

well, thank's in advance,

Best regards,

Leo