Re: Suggestions for a new AMD64 system

lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 02:30:18PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 03:58:24PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> > d-i can do software raid1 just fine.  Just don't try to setup the
>> > fakeraid in the bios, it won't use that, and you don't want to either.
>> >
>> > The way I tend to do it is:
>> > make 3 partitions on each drive (identical) like:
>> > sda1/sdb1 128M (for boot raid1)
>> > sda2/sdb2 10G (for root raid)
>>
>> What's the benefit in splitting / and /boot, when both are on RAID1
>> anyway? I have a 200G / on RAID1 with no issue at all (no /boot).
>
> Ehm, until sometime early this year grub couldn't boot from raid, so I
> used to manually mirror sda1 and sdb1 with dd everytime I made a change
> to one of them. :(  Now that you can run grub with raid1, there is no
> good reason for seperate /boot anymore.  Old habits die hard I guess. :)

You could also use grub on raid1. The problem is installing it. You
had to trick it to believe you were installing on sda1 (and once more
for sdb1) and that would be hd0 on boot (where the mbr resides). That
way both disks are bootable.

I hope the latest grub-install script does that for you now.

>> Also, don't forget swap. RAID1 is good for that too.
>
> Hence why I have swap on lvm on raid (So I can resize swap if I want
> to).

If I need to resize swap that is always temporary for me and then I
just add a swpafile.

> Len Sorensen

MfG
        Goswin