Re: Suggestions for a new AMD64 system

Mercredi 23 novembre 2005, 18:05:19 CET, Jack Malmostoso a écrit :

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:30:19 +0100, Alexander Nagel wrote:
>
> > Problems with BIOS
>
> Here is a nice question: how do I update BIOS? Should I install at least
> FreeDOS or are ASUS BIOSes old school, i.e. a bootable floppy?
> It's 5 years I don't buy a new PC (and my iBook does not count ;)) and I
> am a little out of touch :)

New Asus bioses can be flashed from a system-less floppy or a cd-rom¹
(and perharps even a usb key) : just put the file on the media and press
the magic keys while booting (something like Ctrl-F2 instead of F2, check
the manual).

¹ my manual only talked about a floppy but as I have none, I tried a
dvd-rw: I just unzipped the update, copied both zip and unzipped files on
the dvd (didn't know which one was necessary), rebooted and the bios
flashed itself. Automagical ;o)

--
 Sylvain Sauvage