Re: Nice server board for AMD64/EM64T?

Tyan Thunder K8SR S2881. I have one of them running under Linux in a high load
mail server for months now without any problems. Using Opteron 248s (bought
it when those were the 2nd fastest Optis). Chipset is also AMD, long in
production, very reliable. NICs: two Broadcom BCM5704C, GBit.
Plus we have close to 20 of them running under W* with two Opteron 265s.
Stable as can be. They eat every Intel offering in every respect - power
draw, performance, price.

The board starts at €404, this ones is for 1U with only two slots. There are
almost identical boards with more slots like Thunder K8SD Pro S2882. I found
this one for only €370, -D version is recommended as it supports DualCore (I
think the non-D have disappered from the market).

For SATA RAID, I use LSI MegaRAID SATA 300-8X, becuase 3ware 95xx doesn't fit
into the Tyan 1U chassis (too long with SATA cables connected). The LSI so
far runs perfectly (kernel > 2.6.11 needed) so far, but only for some weeks
by now.

Sönke