Re: Suggestions for a new AMD64 system

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 11:26:36AM +0100, Soenke von Stamm wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 23. November 2005 04:30 schrieb Hamish Moffatt:
> > Also, don't forget swap. RAID1 is good for that too.
>
> RAID1 for swap? What use would that be? With hot swappable disks perheaps?
> RAID0 would be faster and reliability is not an issue - if one disk dies,
> loss of swapped RAM is not the real issue. Better yet is setting up two swap
> partitions with same size (one on each disk) and giving them the same
> priority - this is the same as RAID0, only there is one software layer less
> involved, thus faster/ less CPU intensive.

Loss of swapped ram WILL crash the system.  It is a big deal.  I run
raid so that I don't have unexpected downtime.

Loss of swapped ram can cause all sorts of interesting filesystem
corruption too.

Speed of swap doesn't matter anymore.  Add more ram.  It's cheap.  Swap
is for unusual events, not normal operation.