Re: Cups On 64bit - Is it running?

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 08:12:19AM -0800, Zachary Rizer wrote:
> --- studio-64 <fsmith@walescomputers.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi I've tried this:
> > 64studio:~# vi
> > 64studio:~# /etc/init.d/cupsys stop
> > 64studio:~# /etc/init.d/cupsys start
> > 64studio:~#
> >
> > I dont seem to get any output to say what it's
> > doing.
>
> Five-minute Unix crash course:
> Unix doesn't bother to tell you (generally) when
> something succeeded.  Only when something fails.
> Think "No news is good news".

That's not true for Debian's init scripts. It should say

Starting print service: cups.

or something like that (I don't have cups installed).

If it says nothing at all, that usually means that either it's not
installed (but the init.d script remains because it WAS installed but
then purged) or it's been configured not to run by something like
/etc/default/cupsys.

I suggest checking /etc/default/cupsys.

Hamish