Re: Open office

On Monday 21 November 2005 23:09, Rob van Kraanen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm quite new with Debian 64-bits.
> I just installed it on my laptop and it's great :)
> I just had one question, openoffice is currently not available as a
> debian-package, does anyone know when it will be available?
> Also is openoffice 2 available on AMD 64?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rob

To sum up, there won't be a 64 bit OOo.org any time soon. 32 bit chroots are
beyond  what a user can be expected to setup. The AMD64 cpu can run 32 & 64
bit  apps at the same time, all is needed are the correct libraries installed
for the 32 bit apps. This last point is what Ubuntu and others have used to
run OpenOffice on 64 bit. Does Debian amd64 have such a plan for running
OpenOffice ?

Say what you will about OpenOffice, oowriter is the only wordproccesor in
Linux that has a feature set that some/many/I require. Hopefully this will
change, I like Abiword, small & quick it is.

--
Greg Madden