Re: Default I/O scheduler for 2.6.12 AMD64?

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

How can I see what the default I/O scheduler is for 2.6.12 AMD64 and how
do I change the default scheduler?

Browse the /sys/block/<your device name>/queue directory, you will find a
file named "scheduler", which you can read to see the active scheduler on
that device and write to change it. It can be changed on the fly at runtime.
The parameters of the running scheduler can be seen and changed by
reading/writing the files in the directory /sys/block/<your device
name>/queue/iosched directory. A good idea, if you want to really be picky
and optimise things for every single device individually, may be to install
the sysfsutils package and edit its /etc/sysfs.conf configuration file, where you can set values, to be loaded duting the boot sequence, for any tunable
parameter in the /sys pseudo file system.

If you want to change the default scheduler at boot (this was probably your
question), you can use a kernel parameter at boot time, namely
"elevator=<your chosen default scheduler>", i.e. elevator=cfq.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.