Re: using new kernels in sarge?

Hello,

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 02:55:03PM +0100, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> 	Hello, a simple question: is there any good reason why one should
> not use a recent home-compiled kernel on sarge? More specifically: should
> one expect any problems upon taking recent debian-packaged kernel sources,
> say e.g. 2.6.14, from sid, compiling them on sarge boxes and then installing
> them on the same sarge boxes? Some funny ABI changes I should beware of?

you will need a newer udev - unless you don't use it, and you will need
a backport of yaird to create the initrd, or build a kernel without
initrd at all (read: with disk subsystem and filesystem drivers compiled
in).

alsa will work by simply re-running alsaconf.

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--
ENOSIG